Thursday, February 25, 2010

Grammar thought of the Day

What the Heck Are Progressive and Emphatic Verbs?

Today I took a grammar test and became completely confused on this section of Grammar. So I decided to explain it to you. How can a person who bombed something explain it? I don't know either. If my explanation is incorrect, please take the time to tell me. The rest of you, bear with me.
Progressive verbs
Progressive verbs means that the verb phrase shows that the action is still progressing. They are studying at the library. This means they have been studying, that they are currently studying, and that the will probably be studying for a while longer. (workaholics)
Emphatic verbs
Verbs are the most interesting of all the words. They do things. Left alone, the President, the skateboard, and the girl would sit there and do nothing. (and that sentence had an emphatic verb group)
An emphatic verb emphasizes the verb even more so in the sentence. And that is done by adding the word 'do', 'does', or 'did.' In this sentence: But Marissa did go to Grandma's house; the sentence stresses that Marissa went, and it wasn't about who went to Grandma's house, or where Marissa was going.
Hopefully this is an adequate explanation for the Grammar. This is more in depth than what my book said, and I was tested on it. Grrr, I hate that book. And yes, this is a shameless way of studying. Well, at least I understand it a bit better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment